NALCAB Pete Garcia Application 2019
What is the NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship?
NALCAB - National Association for Latino Community Asset Builders represents and serves a geographically and ethnically diverse group of nonprofit community development organizations that serve Latino communities. Our mission is to build assets for Latino families, communities and organizations. NALCAB’s work advances economic mobility for low and moderate-income people.
NALCAB’s mission is fulfilled in part through the NALCAB Pete Garcia Community Economic Development Fellowship Program (Pete Garcia Fellowship). Established in 2010, the program was developed to ensure that next generation Latino leaders build the practical, personal and professional skills needed to fill the increasing leadership gap in the community economic development field. The curriculum is specifically designed to help practitioners become more effective leaders through leadership development, technical training, and facilitating peer networks.
The NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship has graduated 117 Latino Leaders from across the country, representing 73 unique nonprofit organizations in 24 states and the District of Columbia. In addition to joining a diverse national network of Latino leaders, NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship graduates have meaningfully contributed to their organizations and their field, including taking on executive leadership positions.
Please submit the application in the language you feel more comfortable writing in (English or Spanish).
The NALCAB Pete Garcia is a nine-month fellowship that brings together up to 18 Latino leaders from across the country. Fellows come from diverse personal and professional backgrounds, with alumni ranging in positions from directors, managers, counselors, coordinators, and loan officers.
With a focus on preparing next-generation Latino leaders, Fellows will:
· Gain professional expertise and confidence in their ability to lead and take on executive leadership positions
· Broaden their knowledge and perspective of the asset building field
· Gain insight into the issues, as well as the social, economic and political challenges facing the Latino community
· Develop critical thinking and professional communication skills
· Learn the characteristics and skills of an effective leader
· Hear from outstanding and inspiring leaders in community development
· Join a diverse network of NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship alumni and over 100 NALCAB member organizations from across the country
The NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship requires travel and a considerable time commitment and is therefore not recommended for candidates experiencing a personal or professional transition. Fellows are also required to complete a Community Development Leadership Project that entails additional time outside of the in-person sessions and webinars.
The fellowship provides participants with a wide range of learning opportunities, including a personality assessment that helps them take an in-depth look at their leadership strengths and traits. The program covers several key topics to increase leadership capacity and self-awareness, with a focus on how to apply the learned skills.
Session topics include:
· Leadership: Latino Leadership; Understanding Your Leadership Style; Effective Leadership Through Self-Awareness
· National Context: “State of Latinos in the U.S.”
· The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
· Emotional Intelligence
· Policy and Advocacy
· Nonprofit Management
· Site visits to local NALCAB member organizations that enrich the learning experience in organizational structure and community benefit.
· Program Development and Sustainability
· Innovative Programs and Practices in Asset Building through specialized training and peer learning: Financial Capability; Micro and Small Business Development; Equitable Neighborhood Development.
Community Development Leadership Project
All fellows will complete a Community Development Leadership Project (CD Leadership Project) addressing an organizational need or challenge within the scope of his/her organization’s mission. The objective of this project is to provide fellows with an in-depth program development learning opportunity.
The CD Leadership Project will be cultivated throughout the fellowship experience using a logic model as a tool for planning and organization, along with continuous feedback and support from NALCAB staff. In addition, fellows will receive training in presentation skills to enhance the final presentation of their project. It is highly encouraged that fellows seek the support of their executive leadership and colleagues throughout the development of their project.
Previous CD Leadership Projects include new program development, program expansion, and organizational development. Projects can also include specific initiatives in the development stages.
CD Leadership Projects will culminate in a live 15-minute presentation and Q&A session during the NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship's final in-person training. This presentation will be evaluated by peers, NALCAB staff, funders and experts in the field of community development for clarity, thoroughness and feasibility.
With the support of their organizations, NALCAB Pete Garcia fellows participate in four mandatory in-person sessions, including three NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship trainings and the 2019 NALCAB National Training. All training dates below are tentative.
• Training 1: Week of March 25-29 in Denver, CO
• Training 2: Week of June 17-21 location TBD
• Training 3: Week of September 30 - October 4 in San Antonio, Texas
• 2019 NALCAB National Training Event: November 4-8 in San Antonio, TX. Training tracks include Financial Capability, Small Business Development and Equitable Neighborhood Development (Tentative Date).
1. Nonprofit Applicant, Travel Grant Covered by NALCAB Covered by NALCAB Travel Grant – Successful applicants from nonprofit organizations will receive a Travel Grant to cover travel/lodging costs.*
2. Nonprofit Applicant, Self-Pay Covered by NALCAB Approximately $4,200 – Due to limited NALCAB funds, a qualified applicant may choose to participate in the program by covering travel/lodging costs for all required in-person sessions. NALCAB can provide a sponsorship packet with a letter of support to assist in the fundraising for this cost.
3. Financial Institution Applicant, Self-Pay Contact NALCAB for more information, Approximately $4,200 – NALCAB will accept a limited number of applicants from financial institutions. Successful applicants are encouraged to participate in the program by paying an instructional fee and covering all travel/lodging costs for the four required in-person sessions.
*Travel/Lodging Costs refers to shared hotel accommodations, airfare, and ground transportation to and from the event location. Applicants should be prepare to cover cost of dinner during the course of the program
NALCAB will cover all instructional program costs for fellows from nonprofit organizations.
· Must be able to commit to the entirety of the program: Must attend ALL NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship sessions, 5 webinars and complete a Community Development Leadership Project.
· Applicant is an emerging Latino/a leader with 3 to 10 years of professional work experience in the asset building field.
· Applicants must be currently employed at a nonprofit dedicated to community economic development or work for a financial institution that supports community and economic development programs.
· Must demonstrate leadership and dedication to community service/engagement with a strong commitment to Latino/a issues and a passion to serve low- to- moderate income Latino communities.
· Must have the support of his/her organization’s leader to participate in the nine-month fellowship program, including devoting time to work on CD Leadership Project and receive project feedback from supervisor and staff.
Applicant Contact Information
Date of Birth
Hispanic or Latino
Not Hispanic or Latino
Black or African American
American Indian or Alaska Native
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
How Did You Hear About the Fellowship?
Other (Fill out below)
Please click on the state you are interested in to view that state's information:
Pennsylvania Rhode Island
Phone Number (Work)
Phone Number (Cell)
Executive Leader Name
Executive Leader's E-mail
Years in Current Position
Years in Current Organization
Years in Community Economic Development
Describe your familiarity with Asset Building
Please indicate which category you are applying under (You may choose more than one)
NonProfit Applicant, Travel Grant
NonProfit Applicant, Self Pay
Financial Institution applicant, Self-Pay
By signing this application, I acknowledge that, if selected for the NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship, I will participate in all required fellowship activities, to include 100% commitment to meeting deadlines and the completion of my Community Development Leadership Project. I understand that this program requires travel and a considerable time commitment and an opportunity for professional development and personal growth.
Attachment A & B (Personal Statement & Bio)
Attachment A - Personal Statement
Please answer each of the following questions individually. Personal statement should be no longer than 500 words for each section:
· Personal Reflection: Each of us has a “deep story” – something that connects our family experience, work experience, or a moment that helped define our vision of the world. Please tell us what has influenced you to be involved in community and economic development.
· Personal and Professional Goals: Please outline both your short term and long term goals. Where do you see yourself personally and professionally in two years? In ten years? How do you believe the NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship will help you meet your goals?
· Leadership: How do you define leadership? Do you believe Latino leaders lead differently? Please explain.
· Community Development Leadership Project: Throughout the NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship, Fellows will work towards completing a CD Leadership Project that addresses an organizational need or challenge. Consider a potential leadership project, describing the need/challenge in its current form and what you envision for the future. What is the current status of this project? What resources, skills, and support will you need?
· Fellowship Alumni Network: NALCAB seeks to develop a cohesive Fellowship Alumni Network. If selected, how can you contribute to the alumni network after completing the Fellowship?
Attachment B - Bio Template
First & Last Name:
City & State:
Paragraph 1: In this first paragraph, include your first and last name, job title, and organization. Describe your current role and responsibilities of your position. Include a one-sentence description of the organization. (3-4 sentences)
Paragraph 2: Next, you want to provide a brief description of your previous experience. (2-3 sentences)
Paragraph 3: Finally, include your educational experience, any boards you sit on, and anything else you would like to share about yourself. (2-3 sentences)
Application Process and Notification
Applications will be accepted beginning December 20, 2018. They will be due by 11:59 PM PST on Sunday, January 27, 2019 and should be submitted online here.
An application packet will NOT be considered unless all the following items have been included:
1. Online Application (Signed by applicant)
2. Current resume with job titles, education, and community involvement/honors
3. Personal Statement (Attachment A)
4. Bio (Attachment B)
5. High resolution headshot in professional attire (If selected, this photo will be used for promotional purposes related to the NALCAB Pete Garcia Fellowship)
6. Letter of support from your organization’s executive leadership acknowledging required fellowship travel and time commitment over the nine-month program period.
All applicants will be notified of their final status via e-mail on February 15th, 2019.
Please submit the application in the language you feel more comfortable writing in (English or Spanish).
· Personal Statement (Attachment A)
· Bio (Attachment B)
· Letter of Support from Executive Leadership
(You can attach more than one document at a time)
Send me a copy of my responses
Your submission is being processed. Please do not close this browser window until complete.